Saturday, September 01, 2018

charcoal and watercolour

Charcoal Drawing
Adding a second (and final) layer of watercolour
Some charcoal added to the shadow side

Last Tuesday's portrait night at Don Valley Art Club ended off our summer sessions just right. : )
I drew the model in charcoal, painted it with watercolour then brought it together with a layer of charcoal. The final charcoal, on the shadow side, didn't blend like I anticipated it would, I think because it was sitting on top of the watercolour. I like it, but I think it looks a bit 'rough' and I may save this technique for a male model next time. I'm happy that I played around and tried something different, which I guess is what it's all about...

8 comments:

  1. Your portraits in watercolor gets better and better.... This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hilda. : ) Hope you have a wonderful creative summer. Cheers.

      Delete
  2. I am a portrait artist myself and I just love all your experiments!! This technique is especially interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so. It’s nice to get comments from fellow artists who know the struggle. 💜🎨🙋🏻

      Delete
  3. Wow this is so nice ! A lovely lady, lots of personnality and well done! Bravo Nora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen!!! Thank you. Happy Painting to you! Enjoy. 🎨❣️

      Delete
  4. I really like this portrait at all 3 stages. The watercolor is lovely, but the charcoal work is wonderful too. Makes me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete